Harvesting Facts: The most labor-intensive orchard activity is harvest work.
- Work is either paid hourly or by piecework.
- Aluminum ladders range from 8-12 feet and weigh between 20 – 35 lbs. Moved frequently.
- Climbing, balancing, and reaching. Arms over head.
- Full bag of apples weighs ~ 50 pounds and normally worn on the front of the body.
- Full bags are carried down ladder to bins located on ground.
- Worker bends over the bin and carefully empties out the bag from the bottom.
- Ladder injuries (falls, strains and sprains) are common. Also back injury from carrying and emptying bag and muscle strain from rapid picking.